Wastewater Plant Maintenance Mechanic I
City of Wadsworth
Salary: $26.73 - $36.16
For a complete job description and to apply online, click here.
Submit Application by April 5, 2023, 11:59 pm
Job Summary: This is skilled work in the installation, repair, general and preventative maintenance of plant equipment, machinery, SCADA and facilities at the municipal wastewater treatment plant performed under the general supervision of the plant Superintendent and/or plant chief operator. Assignments are determined by breakdown of machinery and equipment; however, routine work and preventative maintenance duties are performed with little or no direct supervision. May also be required to operate the plant as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Job responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following tasks:
- Performs maintenance and repair work on plant facilities including pumps, engines, motors, chemical feeders, filters, bar screens, valves, pipe, HVAC equipment, aeration equipment, and any other major mechanical, hydraulic or pneumatic equipment found in the wastewater treatment plant;
- General fabrication;
- Inspects equipment installations to insure compliance with contract specifications;
- Monitors facilities and equipment to identify and repair leaks or other malfunctions;
- Maintains logs of maintenance activities, repairs and operations;
- Maintains building and grounds;
- Creates and submits reports (written or oral) as required;
- Follows proper safety practices, precautions and procedures;
- Prepares and recommends suggested purchase of parts, materials and/or equipment including cost estimates and vendor information for annual budget;
- May be required to perform plant operations in the absence of treatment plant operators.
- Reviews pricing for replacement parts and equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of mechanics.
- Knowledge in the safe use and repair of electronics and metering equipment.
- Knowledge of safe use and repair of various types of pumps (centrifugal, positive displacement, etc.), pneumatic tools, hydraulics, plumbing, PLC’s, etc.
- Knowledge in electrical (120V, 240V & 480V) as well as 3 phase motors.
- Knowledge of general safety practices.
- Proper and safe use of all tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and recordkeeping.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, materials and procedures related to the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant preferred.
- Ability to communicate English both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and/or oral instructions.
- Ability to work independently and on any work shift.
- Ability to be on standby and to respond to emergency call-ins.
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs. on a regular basis and over 100 lbs. with assistance.
- Ability to do strenuous bending, lifting and climbing on a regular basis.
- Ability to work in confined spaces for extended periods of time.
- Ability to be exposed to adverse working conditions (e.g., inclement weather, temperature extremes, noxious odors) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to recognize inherent hazards in wastewater;
- Ability to test equipment for proper function and control.
- Skill in the operation of power and hand tools and other equipment with proficiency.
- Skill with proficiency in general fabrication.
- Ability to operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
- Ability to collect, analyze & interpret &/or compile technical data.
- Ability to define/troubleshoot problems, establish facts and draw conclusions.
- Ability to understand technical materials.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand blueprints and as-built drawings.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional relationship with department personnel, other departments, outside agencies and the public;
- Ability to be exposed to harsh chemicals and environments.
- Ability to wear protective apparel including, but not limited to, goggles, face protectors, aprons, shoes, boots or respirator as required by OSHA.
Minimum Qualifications for Employment:
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience and/or training in troubleshooting, repair and installation of mechanical, commercial/industrial electrical and electronic equipment;
- Possession and maintenance of a valid State of Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and the maintenance of an acceptable driving record and insurability with the City’s general liability policy as deemed by the City.
Preferred Qualifications for Employment:
- A Class B CDL with air brake endorsement.
- Possession of a State of Ohio EPA Class I Professional Operator certification is preferred.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check, employment reference checks, a physical examination and a pre-employment drug screen. The final applicant will be required to submit to urinalysis prior to the appointment to test for illegal drug use. An applicant with a positive test will not be appointed to the position.
Interested candidates should submit a detailed resume reflecting the nature of the work performed in both current and prior employment. Emphasis should be given to work experience, training and/or duties performed that are relevant to this position. Resumes may be submitted in the following manner:
E-Mail: Tara McCulloch, Human Resources Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
If submitting by E-Mail, PLEASE NOTE:
Documents will only be accepted in a Microsoft Word, “.doc”, “.docx” or Adobe “.PDF” format. Documents sent in other formats will be rejected. If you cannot electronically send your resume in one of these formats, please choose one of the other methods of submission identified above (e.g., U.S. Mail, fax, personal delivery).
Posting Date: March 14, 2023
Posting Deadline: April 5, 2023
* Resumes must be received in Human Resources by 4:00 P.M. on the deadline date, regardless of the method of submission. Late submissions will not be considered.