JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Under general supervision of the Fleet Maintenance Foreman, performs work involving repairing and maintaining cars, trucks and equipment (e.g., performs major repairs and overhauls on gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions, drive trains and suspension). The classification diagnoses and performs repairs on vehicle parts and systems (e.g., electrical, ignition, and brake systems).
Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: For purposes of 42 USC 12101:
1. Performs major repairs on gasoline and diesel vehicles (e.g., major and minor repairs of two and four cycle gas and diesel engines; diagnosis and repair of manual and automatic transmissions, drive shafts, U-joints, C.V. joints, differentials, axles, clutch systems, drive line gears and bearings); performs schedules and preventative maintenance on vehicles; replaces or adjusts vehicle components or parts; tests the operation of vehicles or parts upon completion of repairs.
2. Diagnoses, repairs, or replaces air conditioning units, pumps, hoses, belts, radiators, blower motors, dash controls, compressors, evaporators, condensers, and other related parts; diagnoses and repairs low and high voltage ignition parts in a variety of ignition systems.
3. Repairs or replaces tires, shocks, struts, ball joints, gear boxes, steering components, leaf and coil springs, wheel bearings, brakes, calipers, wheel cylinders, hoses, booster systems, compressors, air valves, air canisters, and air tanks, or other parts.
4. Performs minor body repair work (e.g., touch up and refinishing of minor body damage and rust replacement of body parts, dash work, window replacement, window and door mechanisms, etc.); fabricates and modifies parts (e.g., cutting, torching, welding and machining).
5. Maintains and calibrates shop tools; documents inventory.
6. Maintains licenses and certifications as required, if any.
7. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
8. Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
9. Performs other duties as required. (5%)
QUALIFICATIONS: One (1) year certificate from an accredited college or technical school and four (4) to six (6) years of progressively responsible related experience; or any combination of training, education, or experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Valid Commercial Driver's License and the ability to maintain insurability under the City's vehicle insurance policy.